"The Mission of the San Mateo Area Chamber of Commerce is to promote a vibrant local economy through active leadership, advocacy and engagement of the entrepreneurs, businesses and community members we serve."
– Cheryl Angeles, President & CEO
The San Mateo Area Chamber of Commerce held its annual board retreat earlier this month. We were pleased that Senator Josh Becker and San Mateo Mayor Eric Rodriguez could join us for a forward-looking conversation on the roles of chambers in a post-COVID-19 world.
The conversation both inspired and challenged us. It is clear the old ways of doing business are insufficient in the face of all the needs and inequities the pandemic has laid bare. Addressing these issues will require us to lead with courage and purpose. They will require us to deliver high-value services to help our members survive and thrive. And these issues compel us to use our voice and our influence in the policy discussions that matter to drive economic recovery and resilience.
I am honored to serve as Chair of the San Mateo Area Chamber of Commerce during this time of transformation and am so very grateful to work with a wonderfully talented board of directors, a dedicated team of employees, our volunteer ambassadors and community partners.
You will be hearing more from us in the coming weeks about our new direction and strategic goals. We encourage you to join with us as we strive to create a better future for everyone.
- Laura Bent
Small businesses are the foundation of a thriving community. But COVID-19 has decimated small businesses, causing enormous hardship on small business owners who already operate on razor thin margins and are predominantly immigrant-, minority- and women-owned businesses.
To support small businesses in these critical times, the County of San Mateo, alongside City and business partners, launched Choose Local San Mateo County, a mobile app that enables shoppers to earn rewards automatically at hundreds of participating local businesses, which can be redeemed as cash discounts at select businesses.
- Users Download the free Choose Local San Mateo County App from Google Play or the Apple Store and securely link your credit cards, debit cards, or prepaid debit cards to your account. The first 700 users to download and link a card will receive 10 SMC Points!
- Users Join reward offers and start shopping and dining locally, earning SMC Points automatically through qualifying purchases made with your linked cards at local businesses.
- Users Redeem SMC Points for cash discounts at redeeming local businesses. Each SMC Point is worth $1.
- Users can encourage your favorite businesses to join Choose Local San Mateo County by signing up here.
Already, over 290 businesses are participating in Choose Local San Mateo County, including: restaurants, cafes, spas, boutiques, yoga studios, dry cleaners and more. With more businesses joining daily, you can encourage your favorite establishments to be part of this innovative program by signing up here.
All rewards are reimbursed by the San Mateo County through the American Rescue Plan Act funding at no cost to the small businesses or consumers.
Choose Local San Mateo County makes it easy to shop and support small businesses. Learn more at www.ChooseLocalSMC.com.